LIC's JEEVAN NIDHI is a with profits Deferred Annuity (Pension) plan. On survival of the policyholder beyond term of the policy the accumulated amount (i.e. Sum Assured + Guaranteed Additions + Bonuses) is used to generate a pension (annuity) for the policyholder. The plan also provides a risk cover during the deferment period. The USP of the plan being the pension can commence at 40 years. The premiums paid are exempt under Section 80CCC of Income Tax Act.
Guaranteed Additions: Guaranteed Additions @ Rs.50/- per thousand Sum assured for each completed year, for the first five years.
b. Participation in profits: The policy shall participate in profits of the Corporation from the 6th year onwards and shall be entitled to receive bonuses declared as per the experience of the Corporation.
c. Benefit On Vesting:
1. Option to commute up to 1/3rd of the amount available on vesting, which shall include the Sum Assured under the Basic Plan together with accrued Guaranteed Additions, simple Reversionary Bonuses and Terminal Bonus, if any.
. Annuity as per the option selected: Annuity on the balance amount if commutation is exercised, otherwise annuity on the full amount.
d. Annuity Options:
On vesting, the annuity instalment, mode of annuity payment and type of annuity which shall be made available to the Life Assured (Annuitant) / Nominee will depend upon the then prevailing Immediate Annuity plan of the Life Insurance Corporation of India and its terms and conditions.
Currently the following options are available under LIC’s immediate annuities:
1. Annuity for life: The annuity is paid to the life assured as long as he/she is alive.
2. Annuity Guaranteed for certain periods: The annuity is paid to the life assured for periods of 5 or 10 or 15 or 20 years as chosen by him/her, whether or not he/she survives that period. After the chosen period, the annuity is paid to the life assured as long as he/she is alive.
3. Annuity with return of purchase price on death: The annuity is paid to the life assured as long as he/she is alive. On the death of the life assured, the purchase price of the annuity is paid as death benefit. The purchase price includes the Sum Assured under the Basic Plan, the accrued Guaranteed Additions and any accrued bonuses, excluding the commuted value, if any.
4. Increasing annuity: The annuity is paid to the life assured as long as he/she is alive. The amount of annuity increases every year at a simple rate of 3% per annum.
5. Joint Life Last Survivor Annuity: The annuity is paid to the life assured as long as he/she is alive. On death of the life assured, 50% of the annuity is payable to the nominated spouse as long as the spouse is alive.
e. Death Benefit on death before annuity vests: On the death of the Life Assured during the deferment period of the policy, i.e. before the annuity vests, an amount equal to the Sum Assured under the Basic plan along with the accrued Guaranteed Additions, simple Reversionary Bonuses and Terminal Bonus, if any, will be paid in a lump sum to the appointed nominee, provided the policy is in force for full Sum Assured. Nominee will also have the option to purchase an annuity with this amount.